Bingo is one of the oldest and most popular games you can play today. It originated in Italy back in the 16th century, when it was known as “beano”. This archaic version of bingo was played similarly to the versions played today. The only difference is that the papers with numbers written on them were drawn from a sack.
Beano came to the USA with first Italian settlers and quickly became popular on the then-new continent. However, because its original name was mispronounced, the new game became known as “Bingo”.
Today, bingo games are played all around the world. Some people love playing them online, others like participating in TV bingo draws, whereas some prefer playing this game in brick and mortar joints. But the most popular of all is definitely online bingo, thanks to all the conveniences it offers.
If you are new to bingo and not sure how to start playing it, or you just want to learn more about it, then this detailed guide is right for you. It will teach you all you need to know about the game, its rules, different variations, tips and tricks, where to play, and so on.
Bingo Games: How Do You Play?
Learning how to play bingo is not difficult at all. To grasp the basic rules, you need just a couple of minutes, as we will prove to you shortly. However, to become good at bingo and ensure that you have lots of fun every time you play, you need to practice more.
Basically, bingo is played on a piece of paper called a “ticket” which has a certain combination of numbers written on it. The goal is to be the first one to cross off all the numbers on your ticket as they are called out by the house.
Bingo Games in Our Society
Ever since it was created, bingo was regarded as a social activity. Even though it is technically a form of gambling as it largely relies on luck, it has a lot of differences to the real casino games. It carries much less risk and requires less money in order to play.
In many parts of the world, bingo is considered to be a pastime for the whole family. Grownups would gather around the TV and watch bingo draws, hoping that a lucky combination of numbers would solve most of their everyday problems.
Bingo is also often seen as a form of entertainment and charitable activity. Today, it is becoming more and more popular among young people due to the fact that online bingo games are quickly gaining traction.
There are many bingo games out there, but all of them follow the same principle and have a similar set of rules.
As we have already mentioned, Bingo is played on a slip of paper called the ticket. This ticket contains one or several lines of numbers which you can choose on your own or get appointed randomly. You can buy one or several tickets, which can cost you differently.
When the game starts, the numbers will be announced one by one. All you need to do is cross the numbers on your ticket when they are called. If you are playing bingo online, the computer can do this for you automatically. However, if you are playing in a bingo club, make sure to be focused so as not to miss your lucky draw.
If you manage to cross off all the numbers on your ticket, you will receive the main bingo jackpot. Sometimes, the game will stop there, but other times the draw will continue if there are additional prizes to be won.
Bingo Games Strategy
The winning sequence of numbers in bingo largely relies on luck and randomness. However, there are certain ways in which you can make these two work in your favor. Basically, a set of mathematical principles and theories claim that randomness can be predicted.
The two most popular strategies used by advanced players are called the Granville Strategy and the Tippett Strategy. Using these strategies will not help you win every time, but it can significantly increase your chances.
- Granville Strategy — The Granville Strategy claims that there are certain numerical patterns that apply to all bingo games. Namely, to increase your odds, your ticket should have the same ratio of high and low, as well as odd and even numbers. There should also be the same amount of numbers that end with one of the ten digits.
- Tippet Strategy — The Tippett Strategy is a simpler system that can be used for 75-Ball bingo. It says that, during short games, it is more probable that the numbers drawn will be closer to the extreme values 1 or 75. The longer the game, the more likely it is that the drawn numbers would be closer in value to the median value of 38.
Bingo Games Tips and Tricks
Apart from learning the simple bingo rules and crossing off the numbers, there are other things that you can do to increase your chances of winning at bingo. Here are some of the best tips and tricks to keep in mind when playing.
- Eliminate the Competition — Even though the size of your prize does not depend on the number of people playing the same game, it’s still better to play against fewer people. This way, you will increase the probability that you will be the first one to call “Bingo!” To eliminate your competition, you can play against odd hours, or play less popular bingo variations.
- Play with Several Tickets — Most bingo clubs and online bingo platforms allow players to buy several tickets. It’s always a good idea to use this option because it will increase your chances of having the winning combination.
- Make Sure You Know the Game — Every bingo game is unique. Apart from the general rules of bingo games, you should get informed about the particular game you are playing. Learn about the prizes and bonuses, if there are any.
- Bankroll Management — Bankroll management means that you should set a limit that will tell you how much you want to spend per each round. This rule should be followed no matter whether you are on a winning or losing streak.
- Stay Focused — Maintaining focus is crucial when playing bingo games. In online bingo, the computer program will auto daub your numbers. Yet, you still need to be on the lookout for bonuses that can be announced randomly during the game.
- Play for Fun — Bingo, like any game based on luck, can be addictive. Always have in mind that Bingo should be a source of fun, rather than a source of frustration. Play reasonably and make sure to take a break from time to time, so as not to get fed up with it.
Difference Between Live and Online Bingo Games
Both live bingo halls and online bingo games have their advantages and disadvantages. For example, going to a live bingo hall gives you a chance to meet other players in person and socialize with them. You can order some food and drinks as well while you cross your lucky numbers.
On the other hand, online bingo platforms give you more convenience and more speed. You can play more games in the same amount of time, and you can also switch between different games with ease. Online bingo can also be played on the go or from the comfort of your home, which is a big advantage.
Another big difference between live bingo halls and online bingo games is the atmosphere. The atmosphere in a live bingo hall can become quite heated, which is not something you can expect when playing online. However, playing online is usually less expensive, which is important for many players. A bingo game at live halls usually costs a minimum of $5, whereas one game online can cost just several cents.
Different Types of Bingo Games
Those who do not know a lot about bingo might think it is just one game without any variety or excitement. But that could not be farther from the truth. There are numerous unique bingo games that you can try, so you can play it for a long time without ever getting bored. This is especially true if you play online. Here are some of the most popular ones that you should try.
90/75/80 Ball Bingo
The three most popular bingo games you will find in every live bingo hall and on every bingo website are called 75, 80, and 90-ball bingo. They are easy and quite fun to play.
In this bingo game, there are 15 numbers on each ticket you buy that are arranged on a 9×3 grid. The first column contains numbers from 1 to 9, the second one contains numbers from 10 to 19, and so on. The numbers are called at random, and this game gives you three opportunities to win.
- 1 line win — Players try to cross off a full horizontal line on one ticket.
- 2 lines win — Players try to cross off two horizontal lines which do not need to be on the same ticket.
- Full house win — Players try to cross off all the numbers on one ticket.
This bingo game contains numbers between 1 and 75 and is played on a 5×5 grid. Each column is headed by a letter, so it spells the word “BINGO”. All the fields on the 75-Ball Bingo ticket are filled with a number except for the middle field that is considered to be already crossed off. Like in 90-Ball Bingo, there are several ways in which you can win:
- Coverall — Players try to cross off all 24 numbers.
- Line wins — Players try to cross off a horizontal, vertical, or a diagonal line.
- Bingo pattern wins — Players try to cross off a particular pattern that was determined before the beginning of the game.
This is a relatively new bingo game that is played on a 4×4 grid with 16 numbers per ticket. Each column in this game is painted by a different color. There are several ways to win in this variation:
- Line wins — Players try to cross off a horizontal, vertical, or a diagonal line.
- Pattern wins — Like in 75-Ball Bingo, players can try to win by crossing off predetermined winning patterns.
Bonanza is a unique bingo variant played on a 5×6 grid with 30 numbers on it. During one game, 43 numbers are drawn and the potential win decreases the more numbers are drawn. This game can potentially bring you a large win if you are lucky enough to win a bingo early. In some variations, you can only win if you match all 43 numbers during one playing session.
5 Line Bingo
This type of bingo is commonly known as Swedish Bingo. This is a variation of 75-Ball Bingo in which the center field is not free, but all the fields contain a number.
To win in 5 Line Bingo, which is played on a 5×5 grid, you need to cross off a horizontal, a vertical, or a diagonal line. There is a prize for each successive line you manage to cover, but many bingo rooms require a horizontal line to be the first one you match.
Now that you have reached the end of this bingo guide, you should be ready to start playing bingo on your own. Decide where you want to play and what types of games you find most entertaining.
It’s a good idea to play for free in the beginning if you are a complete newbie and then include some real-money tickets. If you keep in mind the rules, tips, and strategies that we have shared, you should have no issues playing wherever you go.